ICAI Coronavirus Position Statement
In a time when the American public has a heightened concern about preventing the spread of infectious disease the International Chiropractors Association of Indiana seeks to make clear our position regarding the role Chiropractors can play in protecting the public.
Chiropractors are the only licensed healthcare professionals in Indiana whose primary objective is to improve the function of the nervous system of their patients by detecting and correcting Vertebral Subluxations.
Current research has demonstrated that Subluxation correction using specific adjustments by a Chiropractor greatly affects Nervous System function and this Chiropractic approach has been vitally important in the past, for example during the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic in which the Chiropractic approach was extremely successful.
The Nervous System, Immune System and Endocrine System are in fact one interrelated system often referred to as the Neuroendocrine-immune system. This system responds to external and internal stimuli and one of its many functions is the critical function for human survival of posing an appropriate immune response to infectious diseases.
It should be of primary concern to endeavor to improve the immune function of the public. Chiropractic Adjustments can play a critical role in overall human immune function and Chiropractors have a vitalistic approach which is focused on improving the vitality of the whole person as opposed to combating infectious disease with drugs. This approach can be used alone as a primary way to prevent illness and restore health, but it also integrates very well with medical approaches by other healthcare providers.
The International Chiropractors Association of Indiana encourages the Indiana public to visit your local Chiropractor to regularly to promote overall health and vitality and especially if you are ill to optimize your immune response.
1. Haavik Taylor, H. & Murphy B.A. (2007) “Cervical spine manipulation alters sensorimotor integration: A somatosensory evoked potential study” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, 118(2):391-402
2. “Cerebral metabolic changes in men after chiropractic spinal manipulation” Alternative Therapies Health Medicine 2011 Nov-Dec;17(6):12-7.
3. Holt K, Niazi IK, Nedergaar RW, Duehr J, Amjad I, Shafique M, Anwar MN, Ndetan H, Turker KS and Haavik H (2019), “The effects of a single session of chiropractic care on strength, cortical drive, and spinal excitability in stroke patients,” Scientific Reports, 9, Article Numbers: 2673(2019),
4. By Walter R Rhodes, DC Published by the Texas Chiropractic Association 1978 referencing the success of Chiropractic during the Spanish Flu Pandemic.
“Statistics reflect a most amazing, almost miraculous state of affairs. The medical profession was practically helpless with the flu victims, but chiropractors seemed able to do no wrong.”
“In Davenport, Iowa, 50 medical doctors treated 4,953 cases, with 274 deaths. In the same city, 150 chiropractors including students and faculty of the Palmer School of Chiropractic, treated 1,635 cases with only one death.”
“In the state of Iowa, medical doctors treated 93,590 patients, with 6,116 deaths - a loss of one patient out of every 15. In the same state, excluding Davenport, 4,735 patients were treated by chiropractors with a loss of only 6 cases - a loss of one patient out of every 789.”
5. Wilder RL, (1995), “Neuroendocrine-immune system interactions and autoimmunity” Annual Review of Immunology,13:307-38.
6. Taub, Dennis D. “Neuroendocrine interactions in the immune system.” Cellular immunology vol. 252,1-2 (2008): 1-6. doi:10.1016/j.cellimm.2008.05.006
7. Brennan P, Graham M, Triano J, Hondras M. "Enhanced phagocytic cell respiratory bursts induced by spinal manipulation: Potential Role of Substance P." J Manip Physiolog Ther 1991; (14)7:399-400.
8. Selano JL, Hightower BC, Pfleger B, Feeley-Collins K, Grostic JD. "The Effects of Specific Upper Cervical Adjustments on the CD4 Counts of HIV Positive Patients." The Chiro Research Journal; 3(1); 1994.
9. Clayton J. Campbell, Christopher Kent, Arthur Banne, Amir Amiri, and Ronald W. Pero. 10. “Surrogate Indication of DNA Repair in Serum After Long Term Chiropractic Intervention – A Retrospective Study” Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research, Volume 2005.